Why should I learn to massage my baby?
Your newborn is here, and you want to give your baby the best start in
After all, we all want a happy, healthy, and smart baby.
Research from reliable medical sources tells us that the practice of Infant Massage benefits babies by stimulating them and relaxing them. It can provide them relief from physical discomfort, as well as, provide them with time to feel a secure attachment to their parents.
Some of the many benefits that parents have reported and science has supported:
- Babies experiencing infant massage will soon sleep more comfortable and longer at night. Which means they are more alert and happy during the day. (Less sleep deprivation for parents!)
- Infant massage can relieve gas, colic, constipation and teething pain in the most natural way.
- This massage is not just about strokes. We use voice, eye contact, and touch. Three powerful stimuli for babies brains. It enhances growth, undivided attention, and communication skills. It requires babies to use all their senses.
- Parents learn to read baby’s signals and cues gaining confidence in their parenting skills.
- Infant massage can regulate behavior states and improves the ability to calm oneself (self-regulation). It can result in less hyperactivity.
- The interplay during baby’s massage means the promotion of bonding and security. Therefor it can generate an attachment like no other interaction. This is a great way for both parents to get one on one time with baby.
Learning Infant Massage is a gratifying and meaningful experience. As a result it can bring many benefits to babies as well as parents. Classes will positively impact the way you interact and bond with your baby. Newborns up to crawling babies will find this a fun and joyful experience.
Written by our doula Adriana Liwsky, Certified Educator Infant Massage